Friday, March 14, 2014

Band Festival

                    So today was the day of epic proportions, PI DAY! I came in second place at the reciting competition, the girl who beat me got 111 and I only got 65 digits. I still got the homework pass so I am happy. Today was also the day of our band festival. The nice thing about it was that we were hosting it so I didn't have to worry about going to a different school at a call time and it was just easier. Plus the band makes thousands of dollars for hosting it. Since I am in percussion I was automatically elected for the set up crew. We were about to go on stage when I forgot my drumsticks! So Zach B and I ran all the way from the theater to the band room as fast as we could and we got back to the stage just as Mr. Garvey was getting on the podium. Overall I think the group performance was awesome, and my self performance was good. It was really hot under the lights so I was sweaty, that and all the running I did. I was on my feet today for all of festival and after everything was done it was such a relief to sit down! In the sight reading portion of festival, I played the bells, xylophone, and chimes in a song called "The Quest". There was one part near the end of the piece where I had a xylophone mallet in my left hand and a bell mallet in my right and I was playing two parts at once. It was so hard but we got a division one rating so I am proud of all of us!

                     Overall, today was a good day. I took a Spanish quiz and it was "muy facil", which means very easy. I was expecting a lot more tough of a quiz but it was just multiple choice and fill in the blank. In English we were rating our comic strips on the Cyclops chapter in the Odyssey. We rated them on "Future Artist", "Future Something Other Than Artist", and "At Least I Tried". Three people won the At Least I Tried and they got chocolate gold coins OF EXCELLENCE! One person won both the At Least I Tried and the Future Something Other Than Artist so he got two gold coins OF EXCELLENCE! Finally, there was one champion for Future Artist who won... drum roll please... a gold coin OF EXCELLENCE! It was pretty fun. Today in band class we practiced inside the auditorium and we also had SSR (Silent Sustained Reading) in the auditorium OF EXCELLENCE! Just kidding. In History we learned about the Cuban Missile Crisis and how that it was the closest we ever came to a full on nuclear war. By the way, students were taught that in case of a nuclear attack, take cover under your desks. Yeah, like a desk is going to help you, it would melt away like everything else! In Science we did a lab, not a formal lab though, it was more like "play with a slinky and record your data. I already told you about Spanish and Pi day so we can skip that.

                     Well, that is all I have for today. SYWISY! (See You When I See You). 
                                                                                                                                   Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment